Hungarian Goulash recipe

Wow! I am enjoying using the DreamPot, our new thermal cooker. I think the thermal cooker works very well with the RV lifestyle. Just a few minutes cooking in the beginning and then letting the insulating pot do the rest of the work without any more energy being used is just the ants pants!

Hungarian Goulash


After a long drive or bush walk the last thing you want to do is set up a tasty healthy meal that involves much preparation.

Another thing with me being a morning person is that I have the energy to make the dinner in the morning and set it aside in the thermal cooker and then when it is time for dinner, it is all done or at just about. I did cook the rice separately this time, though apparently one can cook that in the smaller pot above the casserole.... maybe next time I will try that. Baby steps for now!

This recipe has passed down from my Grandmother who was a professional caterer and with a French husband, they both thoroughly enjoyed their foods! Here it is.

HUNGARIAN BEEF GOULASH


2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon margarine
1 kg steak cubed - (I prefer skirt steak)
½ plain flour
2 large onions
1 tablespoon paprika
2 carrots cut chunky
2 potatoes peeled and cubed
1 beef cube
2 tin tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper
½ cup sour cream
Heat oil & margarine in a frying pan.
Toss beef in seasoned flour then
Add meat to the frying pan & brown well.
Stir in onions and brown lightly.
Add paprika & water.
Add water, stock cube and remaining ingredients except sour cream.
Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then transfer to large pot before transferring that pot into the insulating chamber of the thermal cooker for a minimum 3 hours hours, preferably 6-8 hours.(I cooked ours for 7 hours). Season as desired & stir in sour cream just before serving. Serve with fettuccine or rice.

Notes:
Paprika can go bitter if heated without water.
In the interest of losing weight, I omitted the sour cream and I don't think anyone even noticed.
This ended up being sufficient for 8 people (with 2 cups of rice all cooked up).
It is an excellent meal to freeze for days ahead when you haven't the time or energy to cook at all.

Let me know what are your favorites camping recipes -  a link in the comments is fine. 
I will look at each and everyone of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle