A pictorial history of the Bus conversion

Every now and then we meet someone who wants to know how we did the bus conversion and such. For some they want all the details and others just want a summary.

For this reason I thought I would post a (not so short) pictorial summary in just one post.

Click on the photos and that will open a new tab taking you to the original post that goes into a bit more details. Feel free to ask questions. I will get Rob to answer the questions as usually any questions are too deep for me.


First we had to find the bus

Stripping the bus out

Our son Dean & Rob stripping the last bus seat out
In the process of dropping the floor

Lifting the roof

Lifting the roof was such a big job. Rob is 6'4". We opted to only drop the floor on the driver's side for the slide out. The kitchen and ensuite were built upon the original flooring.
Strengthening the chassis

Making good use of our forklift to lift the beams for raising the roof

Cutting hole in wall for slide out and planing the interior

Fibreglassing the front

Strengthening the roof

Of course the door frame needed lifting too

Removing the rear window to make way for back slideout

Mechanical Details

Much later we did get the mechanic to give it the bus the once over and that took more work than we had first hoped for... but that's way after getting the chain fixed. Eventually we had to get the chain hand made in America for us... took ages.

This unusual chain needed replacing
The springs needed work too!

Back on the outside of the bus

We replaced all the top half of the bus sides with aluminum panels. We installed windows according to purpose.

First panel goes up
Making the door
A new door has to be made to fit regulations

Installing windows and power points

Working on the skylight

Strengthening the bin where we are going to house the lithium batteries

Painting the roof
Installing the solar panels  - all 32 of them
Lithium Batteries to harness all that solar power
Installing water tanks including this one partially under the bed

Paint job done on sides

Two Slide outs

Making the slide out for the lounge

Using the forklift to help put the bed slide out into place

Bed & side steps under construction. Bed has to be high to go over rear mounted motor
Slide out for the lounge under construction
Bed slide out is more complicated

Fitting the ensuite, kitchen etc

Putting up the ceiling, wiring and insulation


Unique tilt cupboard above bed for storage (we store most of our clothes in here)

Making the mould for fibre glassing the ensuite
Installing and fitting out the ensuite

The kitchen in progress

The fridge and the lounge are amongst the last things installed.
Redesigning the dashboard

In writing up this post I realize that a post on the kitchen never got written up. I hope to suss that out from our private journals & photos and add this chapter into the blog soon.

This is basically the bus to motorhome conversion in a nutshell. There are many little details not included such as the sliding table and the unique tilt cupboard above the bed that go to make it a little bit different. If you have noticed any else I have left out or have any questions then feel free to make it known in the comments below. I love to get comments as it makes me feel that at least someone is actually reading what I write. 



9 comments:

  1. I didn't see the bus conversion from the start. With this post I realize just how much work had to be done in order to accomplish the finished product. Looking at Robbiebago you can be very proud of the finished results knowing that you rebuilt it from the ground up.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of work, but there is so much satisfaction from accomplishing such a task, let alone the many benefits of having a custom made motorhome that you can afford. I am very proud of my husband and his work ethics.

      Delete
  2. I only found your blog a few months ago and I hadn't gone back far enough to know that you built your own motorhome from a bus. What an awesome job you did. It doesn't look like a home made job at all. Congratulations... just reading the blog is enough to wear me out. No way, could I dream of tackling such a big job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny for your encouragement. I see you also read my Inksprational Designs blog. It was a lot of work but at the same time it was a work of love and we get to have the bus just the way we want. I hope you will keep enjoying your visits to this blog.

      Delete
  3. I love what you have done in converting your bus. It is such a lot of work. Rob is very clever. I would love to see what the interior looks like too. Do you have a post with photos? Sorry if it is there but I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wonderful compliments. I will be sure to let Rob know. There have been some photos here and there, but you are right, there isn't really a lot of interior photos. I will see about rectifying this in the near future.

      Delete
  4. Madam, Sir, I would like to thank you and yours for the complete web site you have compiled. I came across it by error, BUT have not found a reason to stop reading what you have compiled and placed herewith. I especially enjoy reading about your bus vehicle and the work you have done to it. I must be on my 3rd re-read, and have copied your URL so I can re-read it again. A question before I close, when you raised the roof, did you refit the original windows higher up the walls, or did you have to invest in larger windows? anyway, thank you again for posting what you have. With Thanks, David Goldhardt. dlgoldhardt@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest in our conversion. The top half of the bus is completely refitted. So all new windows other than the front windscreen. The white walls are all new the silver part is original. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any. Are you fitting out a bus conversion or planing to?

      Delete
  5. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle